- 8tracks. Sign up for free. Internet radio created by people not algorithms.
- Accuradio. Free. Also free mobile app.”Internet radio crafted by music lovers.” 600+ free Internet radio stations.
- Amazon MP3. Shop 20+ million songs. Recommendations and Discover Music services.
- Bandcamp. Buy music from independent artists and find music you want to support.
- Beastmode.fm. Free. “Random music to make you happy.” Music published on blogs courtesy of Shuffler.fm.
- Blip.fm. Free. “Internet radio made social – free music streaming and sharing.”
- Deezer. Free basic account (ads, restricted listening, discovery only) and subscription (no ads, mobile requires subscription). 180 countries – not in the U.S. “Discover, enjoy, share the music you love.”
- Earbits. Free online radio. Connect with bands, support artists. No Top 40, no ads. Awesome “About Earbits” video.
- Groove. Remixes your music library based on listening habits.
- Hype Machine. Free. MP3 blog aggregator.
- iTunes. Also iTunes Genius for playlists, mixes and iTunes Match subscription for cloud storage. Apple Internet radio announcement coming soon (WWDC June 10-14).
- Jango. Free Internet radio and on mobile that “plays what you want.” Simple. Search by artist. “Making online music easy, fun and social.”
- Last.fm. Free and premium subscription. “Personalised recommendations based on the music you listen to.” Requires Scrobble plugin.
- Live365. Free (with ads), 5 day unlimited with signup. 3, 6 and 12 month subscriptions. Network of 5000+ radio stations, 260+ genres. Personalized recommendations. Create your own Internet radio station.
- liveplasma. Discovery search engine for music, movies and books. Search results are browsed using a graphical interface.
- Mixcloud. Find mixes and radio shows by DJs.
- MOG. ”Music On the Go.” Find, play anywhere, share with friends. Listen for free with ads (basic account). Subscriptions for unlimited music and no ads. U.S. only. 16+ million songs.
- Musicovery. Free. Graphical interface Internet radio. Music by mood.
- Neverending Playlist. Free. Who would you like to listen to?
- Noon Pacific. Free. Weekly playlist of the best songs handpicked from the best music blogs. Email delivery.
- NPR Music. Web portal. NPR Music Radio for continuous music streaming. Social media integration.
- Ohmytracks. Free. “Uses Last.FM to create a better user experience by offering you music that matches your tastes.”
- Pandora. Personalized Internet radio. Free basic account, subscription for premium. Full-featured. Only available in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand.
- reddit Music. Web portal and forum. Listen and share. radioreddit. Free. Tunes are voted on.
- Rdio. Discover (following friends, tastemakers, critics and artists), collect and share. 14 days unlimited trial. Up to 6 months free on computer. Subscription required. Many devices and full-featured.
- Rhapsody. “More than just Internet radio.” Follow members, artists interviews and reviews. Full-featured. Subscription required. 16+ million songs. U.S. only.
- seevl. Semantic music discovery plugin for Deezer and YouTube. Free.
- Shazam. Music recognition app. Share to Facebook, Twitter and email.
- Shuffler.fm. Free. An audio magazine made by music blogs. “Channel surf the music web through thousands of music sites and blogs, curated by tastemakers who filter the music information overload.”
- Slacker Radio. Free. Subscribe for commercial free and offline listening. “The Best Music — Anytime, Anywhere, Any Device.” Curated by 200+ experts. 10+ million songs. Highly customizable.
- Songza. Free. Curated by music experts. Choose to customize music by day, time and situation. No listening limits.
- SoundCloud. “The world’s leading social sound platform where anyone can create sounds and share them everywhere.” Distribution platform for artists.
- SoundHound. Music recognition app. Also identifies by songs you sing or hum. Share and bookmark.
- Spotify. Free and premium accounts. Desktop application. 20+ million songs. 20+ million users = many “eclectic playlists.” Full-featured.
- Stereomood. Free. Turn your mood into music.
- Tastebuds.fm. This is unique. Meet people through music – a music-based online dating service.
- Torch Music. Free. Create online music collections with your friends.
- Twitter #music. Truly social music discovery.
- This is My Jam. Free. Music handpicked by your friends. Switched to a read-only archive of music September 2015.
- TuneIn. Free. “…the world’s radio station.” 70,000 stations. Multiple devices and connectivity in cars, televisions, etc. Social media and favourites integration, linked playlists.
- Upbeat. The Internet’s music charts.
- The Vinyl District. Record store locator app.
- Whyd. Keep, play and share tracks.
- Xbox Music Pass. Previously known as Zune. Subscription required. Xbox 360/Windows devices only. 30+ million tracks. SmartDJ to create custom stations.
- YouTube Disco. “Find > Mix > Watch.” Find by artist or song.
Pingback: How We Discover New Music Today [INFOGRAPHIC] | Maashable | The Modern MLIS
Pingback: The 25 Best Websites for Music Lovers | Flavorwire | The Modern MLIS
Hey there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website
before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new
to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking
and checking back frequently!
Hi Gertrude. I just changed the name of the website today to infophile. The website was The Modern MLIS before…so maybe you did visit before!
Hiya! Quick question that’s completely off topic.
Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website
looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this issue.
If you have any suggestions, please share. Appreciate it!
Choose a blog template/theme that supports a version for mobile devices. For example, this WordPress theme is Twenty Eleven, which supports a different layout on mobile devices.